I’m pretty sure this is the most “granola” thing I do, but ditching my store bought deodorant is the most important switch I’ve made on my natural journey. I have a tried a few different recipes and finally found one that actually works!
Did you know that store-bought deodorant contains aluminum? Yes, you are literally rolling aluminum onto your skin every time you attempt to smell “powder fresh”.
There is quite a buzz about the strong possibility of antiperspirant causing breast cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. Many reports claim they do while others still report the evidence is inconclusive.
Seeing that both of these diseases run in my family, my decision was an easy one. I’m not waiting around for conclusive evidence when there is such an easy, safe, effective, and inexpensive solution: homemade deodorant!
If you’re wondering why my coconut oil is in liquid form, room temperature here in Hawaii is above the melting point for coconut oil. This recipe works the same with your oil in solid or liquid form.
- 5Tbsp baking soda
- 4Tbsp arrowroot
- 3Tbsp coconut oil
- 2Tbsp shea butter
- 20 drops essential oil– I use purification and nothing works the same! This little bottle is packed with a sanitizing and smell good punch!
- Add all of your ingredients in your mixer, making sure to add your essential oil in last, and mix until your substance looks like fluffy frosting. It smells divine, looks yummy, but please refrain from tasting!
- If you aren’t using a mixer, combine the dry ingredients first and then stir in your shea butter and coconut oil. You’re going to have to use a lot of elbow grease to break up the shea butter. Add your essential oil in last.
I’ve been using this recipe for quite a while after I decided the chemicals in the popular brands were not an option and neither was paying a fortune for the natural brands.
You know a deodorant works well if it holds up in this Hawaiian/no AC heat!
Need help getting started? This recipe is extremely easy but your shopping list can look intimidating if you don’t have essential oils bursting out of your cupboard or have never heard of arrowroot powder! I can help.
- Arrowroot Powder can be found at health stores like Whole Foods or on websites like Amazon. Buy on Amazon here. Arrowroot powder is extremely similar to cornstarch but it’s even more absorbent!
- Baking Soda and Coconut Oil can be found in any grocery store but can also be bought here and here on Amazon.
- Shea Butter is almost only found online. Amazon sells it here.
- You can get Purification one of two ways. If you are looking to purchase this bottle and jump into your deodorant making, sign up as a retail customer here and purchase Purification (#3399). If you are ready to jump into your oily journey and kick toxins out of your home, you’re in luck because Purification is one of the 11 amazing oils you can get in your starter kit! The price of the starter kit is only $160 and retails for over $290! Head on over to this site and sign up as a Wholesale Member and start enjoying your lifelong 24% discount!
Check out this post to see everything you will receive with your kit and the current Your Teacher’s Lounge sale!
Hope this recipe helps everyone stay healthy and fresh! Head to the store to order from amazon and throw out those sticks on toxins!